Thursday, December 6, 2012

Giving Advice

There are a number of formulas used when Giving Advice in English. Here are some of the most common:


•      I don't think you should work so hard.
•      You ought to work less.
•      You ought not to work so hard.
•      If I were you, I'd work less.
•      If I were in your position, I'd work less.
•      If I were in your shoes, I'd work less.
•      You had better work less.
•      You shouldn't work so hard.
•      Whatever you do, don't work so hard.
To do something
•      a. I think you’d better …..
•      b. If I were you, I’d ….
•      c. It would probably be a good idea ….. .
•      d. Take my advice and …. .
•      e. I advice you to ….. .
•      f. How about …… ?
Not to do something
•      a. I don’t think you should ….
•      b. I would not …, If I were you.
•      c. You’d better not …
Using imperatives to give advice
We can use imperative verbs + '-ing' to give advice. Let's look at some more :
•      Start going to the gym.
•      Stop drinking so much coke.
•      Consider switching to brown bread and rice.
•      Try cycling to work.


Example
Alia    : Sarah , why you don’t use a mask, wheather is not healty now becuase the fumes.
Sarah  : Yeah, I Fell also,the fumes is really disturb me.
 Alia   : Don’t worry, I think you’d better use this, for your healty.
Sarah :Yeah, thanks a lot, Alia.
Jane     : I’m so confuse, Alice. I don’t know what of the gift for my Boyfriend , tomorrow is his birthday and the gift isn’t ready.
Alice    : Oh.. I’ve online shop that very good about gift, here it’s
Jane     : Wooow it’s very cool
Alice    : I think you should buy tshirt because this tshirt really cool and cheap !
Jane     : Thank you for idea Tyas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Laman