Saturday, April 7, 2012

Expression of Congratulations, Compliment & Gratitude

   Congratulation
  • Congratulation is expression that used to said congratulate to someone when get a success.   

read the dialogue 
Teacher : Maya , how is your stand so far ?
Maya    : It's great! I have sold ten items,Sir.
Teacher : Congratulations! Your stand is the most popular one
Maya    : Thank you. Well, I guess they are firstly attracted by the decoration and then the items
Teacher : You're right. Good Job!
Maya    : Thank you , Sir

    The sentences in bold type in the dialogue show that the teacher congratulates his student for her achievement. "Thank you." is the proper words to respond to the congratulating utterance

 Here are some expressions of congratulating and their proper responses :
 
Congratulating
Responding
I’d be the first to congratulate you on . .
It’s very good of you to say so
I’d like to congratulate you on . .
How nice of you to say so
Please accept my warmest congratulation
Thank you very much for saying so
May I congratulate you on . .
I’m glad you think so
I must congratulate you
Oh, it’s nothing special actually
It was great to hear about . .
Oh, I have a lot to learn yet
Congratulations!
Oh, not really
Congratulations on . . !
Oh, nothing to it, actually
Well done/Fantastic

Oh, thanks



Compliment

  • Compliment  is an expression that we show or say to express/give praise. Some people use compliment to “butter up” somebody or to flatter in order to increase good will. 



Examples :
- On his/her general appearance
- If you notice something new about the person’s appearance
- When you visit someone’s house for the first time
- When other people do their best

 Here are some expressions of complimenting and their proper responses :


Complimenting
Responding
Nice try/ Nice work
Really ?
Keep up the good work!
I will
What a nice dress!/ Outfit!
Thanks a lot
Wow, good job!/ Good grades!
Thank you

Example dialogue :

Boy   : Yesterday I bought this dress. It's for you 
Sarah : Oh, Norman how kind you are. Thanks 
Boy   : It is nothing



Gratitude

  • Gratitude is is an expression that we show or say to express grateful feeling to other people. When speaking English, you say “thanks” very often. Please say “thank you” when people give you something, help you do something, wish you something and give you a compliment etc.
 
read the dialogue
Luna : Ben, are you online ?
Ben  : Yes. What's up ?
Luna : May I use it for a while ? I need to browse some articles for my history paper 
Ben  : Sure. Use it as long as you need. I'm done.
Luna : Thank you very much
Ben  : You're welcome
       Pay attention to the sentence in bold type. The sentence" Thank you very much" is used to express gratitude, while the sentence " You're welcome" is it's proper response

 Here are some expressions of congratulating and their proper responses :

Expressing Gratitude
Responding
I’m so grateful for . .
Don’t mention it
Thank you very much for  . .
It was my pleasure
Thank you for . .
You’re welcome
That was nice of you. Thank you
No big deal
Thanks a lot for . .
I;m glad that I can help you
I really appreciate . .
My pleasure
Thanks/many thanks
Forget it
Thanks a million
That’s what friends are
Thanks a lot
It’s all right







1 comment:

Laman