Thursday, April 26, 2012

Offering

This is a lesson about the offering.
In this lesson there are ways to receive and reject an offering. Hopefully you can implement in your daily activities.
The expression of “ Would you like....”is normally used for offering something to someone.

Definition of Offering :

1. The act of making an offer.
2. Something, such as stock, that is offered.
3. A presentation made to a deity as an act of religious worship or sacrifice; an oblation.
4. A contribution or gift, especially one made at a religious service.


Offering to older people:
  • Would you like a cup of coffee, Mr. Green?
  • Should I get you a bottle of water?
  • Could I offer you a glass of lemonade, Mrs. Lina?
  • Would you care for some salad ?

Offering to friends:
  • Want some?
  • Have some.
  • Chocolate?
  • Glass of lemonade?
  • Grab some for yourself.
  • Would you like to have a pancake?
  • Why don’t you have some lemonade?
  • What can I get for you?
  • What will you have?

Accepting an offer:
  • Thank you
  • Yes, please
  • I’d like it very much
  • Thank you, I would
  • That would be very nice

Declining an offer:
  • No, thanks.
  • No, I really won’t. Thank you.
  • Not for me, thanks.
  • No, thanks. I’m not hungry. 
 Example the dialog:

Mother
: You look very exhausted. Where are you from dear?
Roy     
: I've just come back from hunting.
Mother
: I see. Would you like to drink some water?
Roy     
: Yes, Mother. Thank you.

In the dialogue, Mother is offering something to her son (Roy). Mother says
"Would you like to drink some water?" to offer something. Meanwhile, Roy says, "Yes Mother, thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Laman